Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Cookie Doctor No Longer

My husband's pain management doctor (the one I have spoken of in previous posts) is no longer. We had planned for this month to be the last month we would see him because we have an appointment with someone at the VA later in the month. It has taken us this long to get into the VA doctor, so we had to keep going to the other one so there was no lapse in prescriptions. Our appointment was scheduled for next week, be we received a call yesterday telling us that he is not able to see patients for six months. He had a black eye last time we saw him, and his nurse told us that somebody had beat his booty (slight change in words). When we received the call that he could not see patients, Tim immediately thought he must have gotten beaten up badly. First, do you really want a doctor prescribing such strong narcotics who goes around getting in fights? But second, I don't believe six months would be a predetermined time if he had gotten beaten up (unless he's in jail). So... my guess is that he got in trouble for handing out meds like he did. I must admit, I am so incredibly thankful that I have not let Tim go to the doctor by himself on days that he felt like it. We have been able to keep a close check on everything, and I have been able to track his meds and the amount he takes. I'm not saying my husband would do this, but I know that it is something anybody could fall into... If you are in tremendous pain on a constant basis and a doctor is willing to give give give pain meds to you, it would make it easy to take more than you should. Luckily we have not had to worry about that. It makes me sad, though, for many patients of his who may have fallen into that.

Now we're trying to get into the VA a little sooner than scheduled. Hopefully, with them handling it all, we will not have anything like that to worry about from this point forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment